Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Theme for 2010: Simplify

I've been thinking about my New Year's Resolutions this week and my main theme for the new decade is Simplifying!! With another kid on the way, and living in a small 2 bedroom apartment, I thank the heavens for our Garage!! It makes our apartment seem not so small having that storage available! Maybe I'm also feeling the effects of wanting to clear EVERYTHING out after having a huge Christmas Tree and decorations all over the house, and just make everything clean again.
So we started with our computer desk. We have had this huge, bulky company office desk that just drove me nuts sticking way out from the wall. So after hanging out at my friend Sofie's house, I saw their computer space-saving desk from Ikea and thought it was perfect, so we went and bought one for our apartment for Christmas. I love it, and it really does make life easier, who would have thought...a computer desk.
The other big thing that stresses me out is cooking! I guess it overwhelms me having so many recipes and cook books that I feel like I can't get into it enough and go through all that stuff to find things we like to eat. So I stumbled onto this website that promotes this 30 meal plan. I am so excited about this, and will definitely help me at the beginning of the year to start cooking more and having things I need ready at hand! The basic idea is picking 30 meals that your family loves, write them down, make a master list of ingredients (like through excel) and tada! Okay so there's a bit more to it, and if you're interested check out the website. It's called The Nanny Goat. I also consolidated all my recipe books into one notebook, that has my fovorites in it and it felt so good throwing everything else out! Well not everything. I'm keeping my Martha Stewart cookbooks and my new Better Homes and Gardens book. I never knew organizing all this stuff would excite me this much. It took quite a bit of work, but I think it will pay off. I even made a cute box that sticks to the fridge to put my recipes for that week in. I'm hoping to keep motivated and keep up on the cookin.

3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed by your organizational skills - that recipe idea sounds fantastic! And I can't wait to see your new desk in person when I'm up there in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally inspired by this recipe idea and by your theme of simplifying. I am definitely going to check it out. I have a similar problem of not even knowing where to start when it comes to meal planning. Good luck in the last few weeks of your pregnancy! We sure do miss you guys and are excited for your new arrival next month!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Dave and I have been married four years and live in Portland, Oregon where Dave works downtown for Bank of the West. We have a little girl Samantha who is a fun-loving 1 year old!