Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Nothing could have made it worse!


I don't think I ever want to fly on a plane ever again!
Ya know those experiences you hear about that happen on airplanes that you might think "hey that won't ever happen to me?"....well I guess it can happen to me!

I was flying alone back here to Oregon with Sam last night. First I should mention she has been sick the last few days with a cough and a continuing runny nose, and also I did not bring extra clothes for her on the plane (that should also be noted).
It was in the last 30-40 minutes that all hell broke loose for me. Sam had been standing on the floor leaning against the chair and it was that time where we had to sit with our seatbelts on as we descended. Well, Sammy wasn't having any of that. She started freaking out! I have never heard her cry like that before and she would not sit still no matter what I tried. This was NOT my child! I had to put my leg in between her two legs and even then that wasn't working well. It was a completely full flight, so the guy next to me couldn't help but pity me, much like everyone else on the plane, and right before she started to really freak out I got a terrible bloody nose for a good 5 minutes or so.
After a few minutes of freaking out, she pooped her pants really badly (while still freaking out) and then because she couldn't calm down combined with the fact that her throat was a bit clogged from being sick.....she threw up..a few times..everwhere! And I couldn't take her to the bathroom because we were 5 minutes from landing. So after she threw up I pushed the call button, and the attendant came up all huffy saying "is there something you wanted we are trying to land?" and I was like, "well yes thank you, I have throw up in my hands, could I trouble you for a napkin?" I had used almost all the rest of the wipes for my bloody nose.
Luckily for me, I had my jacket for most of the throw up to go into, and some on her sweater which I was able to put into the black dirty clothes bag the lady gave me. Unfortunately she still had puke on her shirt and pants, and since I didn't have extra clothes for her I ended up having to take off my long sleeved maternity shirt and put it on her. And lucky for me, I had one of those unflattering undershirts that are only supposed to be worn under clothes, but really I had no other choice. I already looked terrible enough as it was and she needed it worse than I did.
Well we finally did land, and I had a backpack full of bloody tissues from my nose, and a sack of puky clothes. We were also in the almost very back of the plane so I had to wait to get off as well. I was so tired at this point I could barely pick her up to cuddle her and take her off the plane, and I couldn't get someone to help me pick up her stroller that they leave for you right off the plane so I was struggling to pick that up as well, and I was trying to keep it together emotionally. Sam had also kicked me a couple of times in my stomach while I was fighting with her and I felt very sore from that.
Dave was waiting for us right there at the gate and when he saw the state we were in, and I saw him, I completely lost it and burst into tears.....more people staring....yaddy yaddy yadda. I had him take her to the bathroom to change her poopiness that ended up going up her back while I went to the bathroom myself and cried in the stall for 10 minutes.
I guess the comforting thing is that I will never see these people again...I hope!

And of course our bags were the last to come through.....
Best I can figure is the pressure was making her head feel like it was going to explode because she was so stuffed up while we were descending.
This is not one of those experiences that I will look back on and laugh!!......not at all.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yuck! I am so sorry! I can't believe nobody helped you! What is the matter with people that no one offers to help the bloody pregnant lady with a poopy/screamy/sick kid. Sure, it's easier to get the carry-on down from overhead storage for the little old lady, but seriously! I hope someone from that plane reads this because all those people suck! I can relate to the story, because I've flown with kids, but nothing that bad! I'm sorry that happened--hope you are okay and hope Sam is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie, I know it must have been really stressful, hence the bloody nose, right?! But I want you to know that this is a really funny story, and I am sure writing it down was therapeutic. I have a story like that involving me watching Bou at around 9-10 months old and teaching one of my first and last (I haven't taught since then) violin lessons.

    There was crying, poop blowout (both on Bou's end) and carrying her in a sling because Matt wasn't at home, and she was crying every time the girl played Twinkle. I know the heat that runs through a mamas body during these stressful moments. You are not alone; p.s. everyone loves you Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. It's sounds like it was a terrible experience. Hope you had fun with your family though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, wow. That's all I can say. And what's with all the grumpy 'do-nothing' people in this world??? WAKE UP and DO SOMETHING! I wish I had been there or something. Just know a fellow mother totally feels for you. Wish we could have hung out but I understand it was a crunched time period...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! That is a true disaster of a story!! I'm so sorry. At least you don't have to see any of those people again!! Hope you are back in the swing of things! Nice to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Dave and I have been married four years and live in Portland, Oregon where Dave works downtown for Bank of the West. We have a little girl Samantha who is a fun-loving 1 year old!