Thursday, April 7, 2011

Extreme Couponing!


So I promise that I'm not sitting around watching tv all the time, but when I saw the previews for this show I knew I HAD to watch it! In the last couple of years I have been trying to get into clipping coupons and saving money. I think I was motivated by two things: One, well of course it was out of necessity. Food is expensive (even more so today) and not having a lot of money forced me to try and save money on food. And lets be honest, I don't think a rich person would automatically say "hmmm I think I'll start couponing today" because it is a lot of work. My second motivation was my sister in law Hilary. I almost think that she should be on this show because she is amazing at finding a great deal. She could probably come out of Target with two carts full of toys and clothes and spend $20! which is exactly what these women on TLC's Extreme Couponing do!! Man they have it down to a science! One lady's grocery total was over $1000 and she ended up paying like $2!! Okay I could NOT spend 4-5 hours a day on the computer looking for coupons, going dumpster diving for coupons with my young child, or spend 5-6 hours in the supermarket gathering all my deals and stacking my coupons! What?? It was fascinating to watch, and I felt like I related to some of these women (and 1 man) because it does give you a high to go grocery shopping and saving 87% on your bill! Yes that is my highest amount ever!
In recent months I haven't been as diligent with couponing, but after watching this show I feel a bit re-motivated about it all, not to go to the extent that they do, but to get what a need, and maybe a LITTLE extra. Because the biggest thing that I HATE HATE HATE about couponing is when you go to allll the work of putting all your coupons together and matching up sales with coupons, which takes a lot of time, and you finally get to the store at the time of day when your kids are the most happy, and you're ready to get all your stuff, and it's alllll gone because the other crazy coupon lady decided she need the entire shelf of bathroom tissue, soap, crackers, etc. leaving nothing for the rest of us! I guess I'm just not the early bird, because there are too many times where I have not gotten the worm and I just get frustrated That's my biggest hang up, but maybe if I get a little crazy about it too, I might get more lucky!

4 comments:

  1. Some of those gals/guys are nuts! I also go through spurts of couponing. My favorite is to stock up on a good sale on a certain item and then not have to think about buying it for 6-12 months. Couponing is exhausting sometimes . . . but it really is worth it huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that last night too! Robert thought all of them were "horders" but I liked it. Here's to growing our stock piles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've watched it if I had TV still :(
    but I did see FB ablaze with critiques from the savings sites I follow, criticizing the people on the show for taking EVERYTHING. Apparently that is a couponing faux pas--as a courtesy, you should never clear the whole deal out. I agree with that, because one day when I'm awesome at couponing, people like that are going to really piss me off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, the frustration of FINALLY getting to the store, being all prepared and having everything gone has taken some of the wind from my couponing sails... Do you ever watch Bert the Conqueror on the Travel Channel? Seriously, I think he might be Dave's long lost twin ;)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Dave and I have been married four years and live in Portland, Oregon where Dave works downtown for Bank of the West. We have a little girl Samantha who is a fun-loving 1 year old!